I’ve taken different paths in my life than a lot of my friends, and yet, we’ve still had similar experiences that we can relate to. How? Check out these fun numbers:
I’ve never served as a full-time missionary, but I talk about my Ragnar Relay Races like other people talk about their missions.
- Number of Ragnars Run: 3
- Collective Number of Hours Slept While Racing: 9ish
- Collective Number of Hours Spent Racing: 106ish
- Number of Different Teammates I’ve Had: 33
- Total Number of People I’ve Known on My Teams Before Race Day: 2
Though these strenuous, rewarding races are nowhere NEAR a full-time mission, I’ve had so many amazing experiences and met so many wonderful people while running these Ragnar Relays that I just never stop talking about them. You’re away from home, you don’t know anyone (pretty much the case for my Ragnars) – missions/Ragnars are a total, immersive culture shock! Everyone’s way too excited to be there, too – runner’s high, the Holy Ghost, call it what you will. Food is minimal (unless you get fed; thank you, Mr. Wadsworth!), rest is rare, and the masses think you’re crazy. Also, personally, I’ve completely fallen in love with every place I’ve run a Ragnar in (Wasatch Back in Utah, Colorado, and Las Vegas) and I want to go back all the time. However, as is not uncommon for LDS missions, I never gained any weight running these races (unless it was in leg muscle).
It’s no secret here that I’ve never dated anyone, but I go through Ward Activities Co-Chairs like some people go through boy/girlfriends.
- Number of Times I’ve Had This Calling: 3
- Collective Number of Months Served For: 31
- Number of Co-Chairs I’ve Had: 8
As a side note: It honestly feels like this is my permanent calling, and that other people who get it when I get called somewhere else are just borrowing it. …also, this is my favorite calling. :)
I’ve had co-chairs that I’ve freakin LOVED (in the most friend-ish way – I’ve actually never “like” liked any of them. …I take that back, I did like one of them, but now we’re just friends), and I’ve had co-chairs that looked promising, but that I actually didn’t work too well with. …/didn’t work too well with me. I didn’t really know what I was doing when I first got called, and my first co-chair and I actually parted ways pretty quickly and aren’t even really friends now. Some served with me for months, some only for a couple weeks. Some are just like me, some are soooooooo different. Some people have boyfriends/girlfriends, I have collaborative partnerships.
As another side note: While these partnerships have been similar to the structure of romantic relationships, honestly, the lessons I’ve learned through having friends (both boys AND girls) have given me more life experiences and taught me more life lessons that are similar to the experiences/lessons that my friends have had through dating other people.
And thus we see that God uses various methods to teach His children the same lessons so that each may learn in the most effective way. :)
Life?
Life is good. :)

1 comment:
i love Ragnars too...obviously :)
Post a Comment