Thursday, September 23, 2010

you'll be in my heart...

Art classes = exhausting. Chrisanne, you are like my hero. Here are some of my assignments!

So. Contour Drawing. We had to draw 3 organic objects and 3 inorganic objects (hence: my shoes). We hung our best drawing on the wall in class the day they were due and my teacher wanted to talk about them at the end of class. He only had time for 3. I wasn't a huge fan of mine, and was hoping he wouldn't get to it, but of course, it was the last one he talked about!

Him: "Whose is this one?"
Me: "Mine."
Him: "Did you do one of these blind?"
(valid question, blind contour drawings are a real thing that we did in class)
Me: "No, some of them just turned out better than others..."
I thought my flip flops were fine, my one heel was AWESOME, and the other I messed up on, and then one of my sneakers was good, and I thought the other one looked like a dead banana. Guess which one.
Him: "What do you think about the sneakers?"
Me: "I think it looks like a dead banana."
Him: "Well actually, I like it."

He then proceeded to tell me how it reminded him of this artist that has done stuff for the New York Times (and other famous stuff, I think...) because she purposefully distorts things she draws. He kinda went on and on about it. It. was. awesome. :)

For my 2D Design class, we had to make 3 collages (with this paper that we painted in class) inspired by the Quilts of Gee's Bend. They're basically pre-civil war quilts that these ladies made and sold to help support their families. Apparently, they're kind of a big deal in the art world. You can Google it. But here are my collages. This one is my second favorite. :)

Least favorite... but still ok. These 3 had to be related to each other somehow.

FAVORITE. :)

These next 3 deal with color. I stayed up until 2:00am working on these. This one is an analogous color scheme- 2 colors that are next to each other on the color wheel.

Anomaly: Introduce a new color. Has a dramatic effect.

Bridge Tones: Add a color to lessen the intensity of the anomaly. My teacher thought that a lot of our bridge tones didn't work so well... I talked to her about mine and she said it worked fine. yes! But she did give it back to me so I could improve it- basically I need to add more bridge tones, and she'll give me a higher grade! She hasn't graded it yet though so I don't know what it would have originally gotten.

SIR. STUPIDHEAD. I hated this head. So much. hence: Sir StupidHead. We had to draw this for my drawing class, hence one of my previous posts. Hardest assignment I've ever been given. We had to block it out first and kind of carve our way through it- this was a progress report that I texted to my sister when we were watching Baby Mama (she's in another state, but we watched it at the same time. and also texted quotes to each other the whole time. purely awesome.). LOVE that movie. :)

The finished product. Worked on it until 1:00am. I'm thinking D material. He's going to put the real thing over our drawings to see how accurate we were. He's also going to hate my shading. But everything's good because it's out of my life. life is good. :)

3 comments:

Kate said...

Wow, these are awesome Stephanie, I'm way impressed! I love your art work, you are very talented!

CHRISTINA said...

Girl, you gots some talents!

Chrisanne Serafin said...

Alright, YOU'RE my hero! You're ten times better at 2-d design than I was.